Runescape Mapping Team
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

These forums are for discussing future or current RMT and ZaP projects.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Zoxin It Up! LIVEZoxin It Up! LIVE  

VRML Contest

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Noxstant
RMT Advanced Developer
RMT Advanced Developer
Noxstant

Male Number of posts : 433
Position : Physicist/ Programmer
Humor : Why don't you humor yourself?
Member Leetness : 53
Registration date : 2008-09-01

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Well, here is a contest in which I am definitely entering. Since I am the only one on this site from the state of this contest, I am the only one applicable. The basic concept of the program provided by the officials running this contest is basically a text editor that you use to pretty much do the exact thing gmax and 3ds does except you must create everything with computer code. They say they are looking for things that will help solve real world problems instead of games, but surely both are limited when you can only model-skin-animate using a very strange code system that takes up many pages for basic concepts.

Why would I fool with this, you might ask. First place is $1000 and a state of the art computer, which I desparately need, if you have not heard already. Since I live in an majorly uneducated state, and the contest only covers two grade levels, I have a good chance at winning this. If not first, second gets $700 and third $500.

For more information, they have a site http://mollohanfoundation.org/contests.htm

I am curious about your thoughts on this.
Back to top Go down
Super-duper Slipper Man
RMT Webmaster
RMT Webmaster
Super-duper Slipper Man

Male Number of posts : 337
Member Leetness : 193854
Registration date : 2008-08-18

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Noxstant wrote:
Since I live in an majorly uneducated state

^Lol...
Back to top Go down
http://rmt-zap.omgforum.net
Martini-562
RMT Superior Member
RMT Superior Member
Martini-562

Male Number of posts : 354
Member Leetness : 26
Registration date : 2008-08-27

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 am

Ok so on your own? you're gonna make a 3D application from the ground up using only a text editor?

First of all what code do plan on using, secondly do you even know how to create 3D visual apllications??
Back to top Go down
Noxstant
RMT Advanced Developer
RMT Advanced Developer
Noxstant

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 2:55 pm

First of all....
Quote :
you're gonna make a 3D application from the ground up using only a text editor?

No, Maarten. I have to make a 3d model with the code (which is an unheard of code called VRML which is pratically html and java but with really stupid parts) They leave the door open to make whatever you want. You must animate, design, modifiy nodes using the VRML code. Your model is can be viewed in browsers. This is a fairly lengthy process to create a model using VRML language when you can just use Gmax instead of VRML. Thankfully, they allow me to import custom made skins on another application. I am still unsure what to do for this. They say they value solving real life problems, which I probably could have done if they would have let me use something that actually could create a simulation.
Wait a minute, just go to the site and download the criteria tool kit so you can see what I am talking about.

Second of all....
Quote :
Noxstant wrote:
Since I live in an majorly uneducated state

Yeah, that was an edit. I went in and added majorly but apparently I did not change that. But seriously though Zoxin, everyone makes typos sometimes (including myself) I surely do not have the time to proofread my posts nor do I want to. You could have lessened that if you would have at least posted something relevant to VRML. It does not really matter though.
Back to top Go down
DEEhunter
RMT Basic Member
RMT Basic Member
DEEhunter

Number of posts : 23
Member Leetness : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-11

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Why do this if you can just open a .obj model in notepad?
Back to top Go down
Super-duper Slipper Man
RMT Webmaster
RMT Webmaster
Super-duper Slipper Man

Male Number of posts : 337
Member Leetness : 193854
Registration date : 2008-08-18

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 pm

I just really found a little bit of irony (correct me if i'm wrong for the correct term) that you refer to yourself as smart, and then say that... pretty funny. Of course people make typos. I'm the typo king.
Back to top Go down
http://rmt-zap.omgforum.net
Noxstant
RMT Advanced Developer
RMT Advanced Developer
Noxstant

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Update : Well, I am banking on this contest to win myself a state of the art PC, and some cash. If you have known me for a while, you will know how much I need a new PC. If I get one, my modding activity will most likely go up approx. 300%. I have teamed up with a friend and we have decided our project topic is how to protect Earth from an asteroid impact. We are making this like a simulation, letting users enter data like mass, velocity, etc. To see if any of the methods work or not. Here's what we have so far.

Well, I originally went out to design an asteroid, but got the moon instead. I think if I made this less spherical and made the texture brown, it would be a perfect asteroid.
VRML Contest Moon10

Here is the sol system as so far. None of the planets revolve or rotate, so I have some work to do. Take note that none of the planets as of yet are textured, as I am working on that.
VRML Contest Sol10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VRML Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: VRML Contest   VRML Contest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VRML Contest
Page 1 of 1